Kindle Countdown Deals

Sunday

July 14th - Witnesses of Wonder

Witnesses of Wonder

(Isaiah 43:8-28; 44:1-25; 45:1-13)


Bible in Hand

Photographer Unknown


"’You are my witnesses,’ declares the Lord,
‘and My servant whom I have chosen,
so that you may know and believe Me
and understand that I am He.
Before Me no god was formed,
nor will there be one after Me.

I, even I, am the Lord,
and apart from Me there is no savior.

I have revealed and saved and proclaimed—
I, and not some foreign god among you.
You are My witnesses,’ declares the Lord, ‘that I am God.’”

(Isaiah 43:10-12, NIV, emphasis added)


Since Old Testament times, the Lord has called His people to be witnesses for Him. The Old Testament prophet Isaiah spoke the words of God, proclaiming the children of Israel (and all people who would be called by the Lord’s Name) to testify to His glory and honor.


What is a witness?


The Merriam-Webster Dictionary defines “witness” this way:


1: attestation of a fact or event: testimony

2: one that gives evidence; specifically : one who testifies in a cause or before a judicial tribunal

3: one asked to be present at a transaction so as to be able to testify to its having taken place

4: one who has personal knowledge of something

5 a: something serving as evidence or proof: sign

b: public affirmation by word or example of usually religious faith or conviction


The actual word, “witness,” is derived from an Old English word meaning knowledge or testimony.


In our courtrooms, witnesses are called to testify to things they have seen and heard.


Similarly, the Lord calls us to testify to what He has done for us, in us, through us and around us.


Of what can you bear witness?


What testimony has God given to you to share? What wonders of the Lord’s love and mercy can you pass on to others? What is our great Creator doing in your own life?


Here’s an acrostic poem the Lord gave me today, based upon our readings in the Old Testament prophetic book of Isaiah (particularly Isaiah 43:10-12).


Witness to Wonder


Who am I without the Lord?
I claim my worth in Him.
To trespassers He calls – “Come to My summit.”
No favoritism here.
Each may answer at will.
Still His invitation holds, as
Surely the truth must be told.

Trusting Him
Only and always.

What else is there?
Over obstacles of guilt and shame,
Nothing can separate me –

Delivered forever.
Eternally guarded in His love and
Reminded to testify of His mercy.


Will you pray with me?


What a marvelous Maker.

What a glorious Guardian.

What a wonderful Wise One.

What a merciful Master.

What a great God.

Nudge us to stand

As Your witnesses,

Testifying to Your grace

In our lives.

Amen.


Posted in response to these prompts:


Easy Street Prompts (“trespassers”)

Meme Express (“summit”)

Monday Poetry Train (poems)


Add to Technorati Favorites

4 comments:

  1. beautiful poem, prayer and reminders!
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely acrostic... it really flows naturally. Thank you for sharing it with us!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have visited your blog not more than 4-5 times but i remember feeling so blessed each time ! thanks :)

    ReplyDelete