Kindle Countdown Deals

Thursday

January 22nd - Calling to Confidence

Calling to Confidence

(Exodus 1:1 – 4:31 and 6:14-27)


Pharaoh's Daughter Finding Baby Moses

By Konstantin Flavitsky

19th Century


Perhaps four centuries after the deaths of Jacob and Joseph, God called a new leader for his people. The Israelites found themselves oppressed by the Egyptian Pharaoh, who had made the people slaves. Into this environment, God birthed Moses.


Symbolically echoing God’s rescue of Noah and his family, Noah was tucked into an ark-like basket and placed in the waters of the Nile River to escape Pharaoh’s genocidal slaughter of all Hebrew boy babies. By God’s Providence, Moses’ own mother and sister are chosen to care for the lad.


Once grown, Moses proved his humanity by murdering an Egyptian and fleeing into the Midian wilderness, where he found his bride, Zipporah. Still, God was with Moses and called him to leadership.


Moses and the Burning Bush

By Dirk Bouts –

c1460

The Burning Bush


God appeared to Moses, speaking to him from a bush that was engulfed in flames, but not consumed by them

Moses’ divine calling included a fourfold promise from the Lord (emphases added):


“The Lord said,

I have indeed seen the misery of my people in Egypt.

I have heard them crying out because of their slave drivers,

and I am concerned about their suffering.

So I have come down to rescue them.’”

(Exodus 3:7-8a, NIV)


What a comfort to all who know and trust the Lord. God sees our troubles. He hears our cries. He cares about our sorrows. And He has come to rescue us.


Being, Not Doing


Reluctant to lead, Moses questions the Lord. “Who am I?” Moses asks (see Exodus 3:10-12). Of course, God assures Moses that He will accompany him on his mission.


Moses’ next question is a bit bolder. “Who are You?” he asks. (See Exodus 3:13-15). God blows this question (and Moses) away with His answer.


“God said to Moses, ‘I AM WHO I AM.’

And He said,

‘Thus you shall say to the sons of Israel,

“I AM has sent me to you.”’”

(Exodus 3:14, NASB)


Don’t you just love God’s tactful and terrific way of expressing Himself? He could have said, “Who do you think you are to ask such a question?” But He responded directly, with on-the-spot accuracy to Moses.


God did not say “I do.” He said, “I am.” He simply is our all-sufficient God.


I think God’s name offers us an important lesson about purpose. Which is more important, what we do or who we are? What does the Lord value most, our attitudes or our accomplishments? What pleases the Father’s heart, our hearts or our hectic work schedules?


Be still, and know that I am God:

I will be exalted among the heathen,

I will be exalted in the earth.”

(Psalm 46:10, KJV)


How I long to look to the Lord for my own confidence and sense of worth, rather than performance reviews, peer ratings or popularity contests. I just want to know Him more.


Will you pray with me?


Great God,

You always have been

And evermore shall be.

Who You are

Astounds and amazes us.

Thank You that

You see our troubles,

You hear our cries,

You care about our sorrows

And You have some to rescue us.

Draw our hearts.

Nurture within us

A deeper desire to know You.

Remind us,

Even as we serve You

That You count ever more

Than anything we might do for You

Or offer You.

Hold us close to Your Father heart,

Even in troubled times.

Amen.


Add to Technorati Favorites

No comments:

Post a Comment