Kindle Countdown Deals

Thursday

Hope in Heaviness - 30 Days of Thankfulness



I’m feeling a little heavy today, and it’s not just because I want to lose a few pounds before the holidays begin. This morning, I woke up to a jumble of mini-crises after a nearly sleepless night.

Have you ever found yourself feeling more tired in the morning than you were when you retired the night before? I surely have.

My mind was racing in the wee hours of the night. Yes, I shared each concern with my Wonderful Counselor and Prince of Peace. Still, sleep eluded me for most of the night. Morning arrived all too fast for my own comfort.

My spirit seems somewhat sunken today. A thousand tiny hassles and hurts can tip the scales in time and drag us down. Maybe you know the feeling.

Daily, we mortals may choose to pour life or death into one another. We build each other up, and we break each other down. Often, we do a bit of both.

Toss in a few daily stresses and a nagging and progressively oppressive medical condition or two, and restfulness may try to make a break for it.

But I know the truth.

I’m thankful for hope in heaviness.

Even in down-times, the Lord does not leave His own. In fact, often it seems those are the moments when the voice of our Heavenly Father may be heard most clearly.

I am certain God’s plan is still intact – in my life, in my family, and worldwide. For He remains wakeful and watchful, even when His children do doze off for a while.

The King of Kings holds the winning hand, no matter how the game seems to be going today.

“But blessed is the man who trusts me, God,
    the woman who sticks with God.
They’re like trees replanted in Eden,
    putting down roots near the rivers—
Never a worry through the hottest of summers,
    never dropping a leaf,
Serene and calm through droughts,
    bearing fresh fruit every season.”
(Jeremiah 17:7, MSG)


Sometimes we simply have to change the channel, directing our thoughts from our present fits to our future hope.

What’s playing in the background today?

Are you hearing harmonies or harm? A friend shared this song with me, and it helped to heal my heart a little. Maybe it will bless you as well.


God really wants to draw His children near to His own heart, whatever it takes. For only there can we find hope in heaviness. And only then can we look up and discover our burdens have been lifted.

For what are you thankful?

Image/s:
Father and Child
By Andrei Osipovich Karelin
Late 19th Century
4 Kings by Enoch Lau
Creative Commons Licensing
Thankful at Thanksgiving
Adapted from public domain artwork

Related Items:
  • Lead Me to the Rock of Heaven and Earth - A Prayer to the Rock of Heaven and Earth. "From the ends of the earth I call to You, I call as my heart grows faint; lead me to the Rock that is higher than I."(Psalm 61:2, NIV)
  • My Top 25 Favorite Abraham Lincoln Quotes - Abraham Lincoln has been called Honest Abe, the Great Emancipator, the Rail-Splitter and the Father of Freedom. Abraham Lincoln may be the most popularly quoted American President in history. Here are my top 25 favorite Abraham Lincoln quotes.
  • Amazing Rephrasing - A Rhymed Inspiration on Prayerful Translation - "Most confidantes deserve not trust; Self-centered friendship is unjust. But one Companion merits more, The One who knocks on my heart's door...."

Feel free to follow on GooglePlus and Twitter. You are also invited to join this writer's fan page, as well as the Chicago Etiquette Examiner, Madison Holidays Examiner, Equestrian Examiner and Madison Equestrian Examiner on Facebook.

Add to Technorati Favorites

No comments:

Post a Comment