Kindle Countdown Deals

Tuesday

Tonic for the Terrified – Bible First-Aid from A to Z




Tonic for the Terrified – Bible First-Aid from A to Z

Can you remember a time when you were paralyzed by fear?

As believers, we know that we know that God is able to keep us from the evil one. We understand with our minds and all of our hearts that the Almighty saves.



But we still tremble when terror strikes.

I found this lately, while riding a young horse after enduring a significant spell of physical rehabilitation from critical injuries I sustained in a fall from another (You guessed it!) young horse. I knew this new horse was gentle and sweet and tractable. I understood we were riding in very safe conditions. I've worked with this horse (pictured here) extensively on the ground, and we share a dear connection.

We'd even had gentle rides before with both of us calmly enjoying the experience.



Whoa! I still froze. My mind and heart were fine, but my body betrayed me.

This situation was a little more complex, as I live with a chronic and potentially disabling medical condition that affects the central nervous system and can throw the body into freeze mode at seemingly random times. This condition is aggravated by stress or anxiety. (Hello! Isn’t everything?)

Maybe that’s what terror feels like, at least, physically – just freezing up.

Even if we know that we know that everything will be alright in the end, for the moment, we seem to be stuck.


For God has not given us a spirit of fear and timidity, but of power, love, and self-discipline.
(2 Timothy 1:7, New Living Translation)

I prayed to the Lord, and he answered me. He freed me from all my fears. (Psalm 34:4, New Living Translation)

He will cover you with his feathers. He will shelter you with his wings. His faithful promises are your armor and protection. Do not be afraid of the terrors of the night, nor the arrow that flies in the day. Do not dread the disease that stalks in darkness, nor the disaster that strikes at midday. Though a thousand fall at your side, though ten thousand are dying around you, these evils will not touch you. (Psalm 91:4-8, New Living Translation)


That’s totally true – even in those moments when our knocking knees beg to differ.

And, yes, I’m getting back on that horse. She’s certainly spirited and can be unpredictable. Yet, if she could speak aloud, I’d bet she’d say, “Trust me. We’ve got this.”



Heart of a Ready Writer is participating in the April A to Z Blogging Challenge, with a full month of alphabetically arranged posts in a series titled “Bible first-aid kit from A to Z.” Some readers may even choose to memorize these helpful Scripture verses.

Stick around! C’mon back! Better yet, why not follow or subscribe, so you can track all the posts? We welcome you. Let’s share the journey to know His heart.

Image/s:
Word art
Created by LAN/Nickers and Ink
at Cool Text
Horse photo
c2013 by Linda Ann Nickerson - All rights reserved
Bible First-Aid from A to Z
Created by LAN/Nickers and Ink
at Flaming Text

Feel free to follow on GooglePlus and Twitter. You are also invited to join this writer's fan page, as well as the Chicago Etiquette Examiner, Madison Holidays Examiner, Equestrian Examiner and Madison Equestrian Examiner on Facebook.

Add to Technorati Favorites

 



No comments:

Post a Comment