Kindle Countdown Deals

Saturday

15 Handy Ways to Memorize Scriptures and Important Quotes (series intro)



Who says grownups can’t memorize Scripture?

Scripture memorization isn’t always easy. When my calendar overflows with commitments, when distractions clamor for my attention, when folks are hollering at me, when the phone is ringing, when text messages are piling up unanswered, and when the rush of daily life slips into warp speed, it becomes extra challenging.

But those may be the moments when Bible verses tucked into my memory bank may take on extra meaning. Those stress-crunch times are often when God reminds me of His own words in ways that fit my current situation to a tee.

Scripture memory counts for plenty – both spiritually and practically.


"This is what the Sovereign LORD, the Holy One of Israel, says: 'In repentance and rest is your salvation, in quietness and trust is your strength'" (Isaiah 30:15, NIV).

"He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High will rest in the shadow of the Almighty" (Psalm 91:1)

"I lift up my eyes to the hills, where does my help come from?
My help comes from the LORD, the Maker of heaven and earth.
He will not let your foot slip he who watches over you will not slumber;
indeed, he who watches over Israel will neither slumber nor sleep" (Psalm 121:1-4)


Busy adults can't always take time to leaf through the pages of Scripture to find the verse they need - in a crunch! That's why it is essential to commit favorite Bible verses to memory. That way, God can remind us of His promises - right when we need them the most.

Think you can’t memorize Bible verses?

Some time ago, I was teaching a small group leader training seminar at our church. Our curriculum included weekly Scripture memory work.

Several participants candidly voiced their difficulty in memorizing Bible verses. They claimed this is easy for children, but difficult for adults. A few folks said they had lost the ability to memorize, as they grew older.

"My kids keep me so busy!" one mom wailed. "How can I possibly memorize Bible verses?"

“My boss has me working double shifts,” another groaned.

"OK, let's try a little game," I said. I handed out some blank notebook paper. I asked everyone to number the top 10 lines. I gave them the following headings to list. 

1. Home phone number.
2. Cell phone number.
3. Spouse's cell phone number.
4. Address and zip code.
5. Social security number.
6. Spouse's social security number.
7. Children's names, ages, and birth dates.
8. Wedding anniversary.
9. Siblings' names, ages, and birth dates.
10. Two additional phone numbers (parents, friends, etc.).

Then I instructed them to fill in the answers for those lines. And they did.

"Gee," I said. "You guys are smart! You sure can memorize a lot of details! Hey, we haven’t even mentioned all of the log-in passwords you have tucked into your fabulous brains. And this stuff is not nearly as interesting or meaningful as Scripture."

The room became very quiet for a few moments.

Scripture memory is possible. Maybe it just takes some creative techniques.

Are you studying for exams? Home-schooling your children? Participating in a Bible study at church or in your neighborhood?

Maybe you just want to fill your mind with God’s Word.

Memorizing Scriptures and other quotes can be fun. Here comes a blog series - offering some great ways to get started. Follow this upcoming series – right here at Heart of a Ready Writer: 15 Tips for Memorizing Scriptures and Important Quotes.

Stick around. We're going there.

* All verses taken from NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION.



Image/s:
15 Handy Ways to
Memorize Scriptures
and Important Quotes
– Created by this user
on CoolText
Adapted from public domain artwork
Bible memory can be exciting
– Created by this user
with public domain artwork


Feel free to follow on GooglePlus and Twitter. Don’t miss the Heart of a Ready Writer page on Facebook.

Add to Technorati Favorites


 

No comments:

Post a Comment