Kindle Countdown Deals

Monday

The Creator’s Comfort - 30 Days of Thankfulness



I love my comforter.

Winter is coming to the Upper Midwest. The sky is darker, and days are shorter. Cold winds blow through my street and my spirit at this time of year.

Sometimes, I think I’d rather just curl up with my comforter and catch a few thousand sets of forty winks, instead of piling on layers of winter wear and facing the season.

But the real Comforter calls.

Those who have been ransomed by the Lord will return.
    They will enter Jerusalem singing,
    crowned with everlasting joy.
Sorrow and mourning will disappear,
    and they will be filled with joy and gladness.
I, yes I, am the one who comforts you.
    So why are you afraid of mere humans,
    who wither like the grass and disappear?
Isaiah 51:11-12, NLT

God Himself is our Comforter, especially during the bleakest seasons and the darkest days of our lives.

I rediscovered this recently and personally, walking through a tunnel of trial. Maybe you did too.

Slogging my way through a season of struggle with a chronic and progressively disabling health condition, I was stunned to learn of the death of a loved one in our extended family.

The news devastated the entire clan, both for the current loss and for his passing near the second anniversary of the death of another dear one in the family. In fact, we had lost five loved ones (from both sides of the family) around the same time over the past several years.

I’m not sure anyone in our church even knew of the tragedy.


For health reasons, I haven’t exactly been a regular participant at worship services. It’s amazing how easily we can become unplugged when we don’t show up often. Unfortunately, medical concerns have kept me lately from the high-amp setting of particularly exuberant and enthusiastic gatherings. The mix is simply dangerous for me.


Close friends rallied around our family, as we grieved. Colleagues and comrades came to honor the one we had lost. Others penned notes of encouragement and love, both on paper and online.



Certainly, we appreciated the sympathy and support from these fine folks.

But the ultimate comfort came on a much closer level, as the Holy One touched hearts where no one else could.

I am thankful for the Comforter.

God sees into the hidden corners of our deepest sorrows. His hand reaches into our hurts. And He holds us when we cannot hold up our own heads.

For what are you thankful?

Image/s:
Passer-payez - by Leo Leopold Boilly
1803
Public Domain Artwork – copyright expired
Wikipedia Commons Photos
Thankful at Thanksgiving
Adapted from public domain artwork


 
Related Items:
20 Sincere Sympathy Card Statements to Comfort Those Who Mourn - What can you write in a sympathy card? Sometimes the simplest words are the most difficult to find. Here are 20 tender and true phrasings for sympathy card notes. Some include statements of faith, while others are simply comments of personal compassion.
Mended and Commended - A Poetic Pace on Wondrous Grace: "Laden with a load, I sorrowed; Ill-contentment, bought and borrowed. Inner scorn my truest friend, Trying hard, truth to suspend...."
Soul-Worn - a Poetic Piece on the Great Release - What happens when a soul is tired, sorrow-filled, with cares enmired? Can one be freed from darkest night and live in Heaven's brightest light?


Feel free to follow on GooglePlus and Twitter. You are also invited to join this writer's fan page, as well as the Chicago Etiquette Examiner, Madison Holidays Examiner, Equestrian Examiner and Madison Equestrian Examiner on Facebook.


Add to Technorati Favorites

No comments:

Post a Comment