Kindle Countdown Deals

Friday

Potent Parent Prayers: Safety in supervision




Kids need competent supervision, especially when they are little. OK, we get that. So do child welfare authorities. Yes, there’s a funny story to go with that. But it wasn’t so funny at the time.

I’ve mentioned in other posts (like this one) that we are an adoptive family. That means we’ve been blessed with children through adoption. It also means those blessed events were preceded and surrounded by intense scrutiny of our personal lives and confidential information. From biological backgrounds to bank statements and from faith bases to fingerprinting, we’ve been scanned and scrutinized.

That makes this story all the more cringe-worthy. Sure, it’s funny now.

Here’s what happened. 

Our oldest was too young for preschool. She was about two and a half years old. I set her up in the childproofed and gated master bedroom and switched on an episode of the dreaded purple dinosaur (who was all the rage at that time), so I could take a quick shower.

Apparently, the phone rang while I was shampooing.

When I stepped out of the shower, I peeked at my kid, who was holding the telephone.

“Who is it?” I asked.

She handed me the phone.

“Well, I’m glad to hear there’s actually an adult in the house,” a woman snapped through the line. Then she identified herself as a caseworker from the Department of Child and Family Services (DCFS), following up on the adoptive placement. (They did that periodically for the first couple of years.)

The DCFS lady proceeded to tell me that my daughter had answered the phone. When the caseworker asked to speak to a parent, my kid had told her she was all alone.

“Who is watching you?” the lady had inquired.

“Barney the Dinosaur,” my child had chirped.

I had to wonder what the lady had written in our adoption case file about parental supervision in our family.

Not so with God. Our loving Heavenly Father watches His children without even blinking. He never steps away, and He is always paying attention. He is Elohay Mikarov, the God Who is Near (see Jeremiah 23:23).


I am with you and will watch over you wherever you go, and I will bring you back to this land. I will not leave you until I have done what I have promised you. (Genesis 28:15, NIV)


Almighty and attentive Holy One, we thank You that Your eye is always on Your children (including those You have entrusted to us as parents). Guide us as mothers and fathers, and guide our youngsters to walk in the way You have planned for us – the way that leads to love and joy and peace and more. Guide our children (and ourselves) to Your Kingdom, as You have promised. We ask in faith and in the name of our wonderful Lord, Your Son Jesus Christ.

Image/s:
Developed by this user
with online graphic generators

Feel free to bookmark or subscribe. Don’t miss the Heart of a Ready Writer page on Facebook. You may also want to follow this writer on GooglePlus and Twitter.

Add to Technorati Favorites

No comments:

Post a Comment