Kindle Countdown Deals

Wednesday

6. The Night of Nativity



Angels were amazed at the birth of Christ, as was His young mother. This 15th Century depiction, though dark, clearly shows outright awe on the faces of everyone present in the scene. The angels appear astonished. Mary is wide-eyed and breathless. Even the cow looks surprised. And is that Joseph in the background, looking on with wonder at the tiny Babe in the manger box?

I’m not sure of the significance of the tiny and brightly lit angel over their heads. It almost looks like Tinkerbell to me. But I digress.

This nativity painting, though quite old, is a new one to me. And I am growing fond of it. I even like the little sparks of light that seem to be rising from the Holy Child.

What a blessed occurrence, as the Lord Himself entered human existence in such a humble way.


 Nativity at Night, by Geertgen tot Sint Jans, 1400s

Feel free to follow on GooglePlus and Twitter. Don’t miss the Heart of a Ready Writer page on Facebook. You are invited to visit my Amazon author page as well.


No comments:

Post a Comment