Kindle Countdown Deals

Tuesday

January 27th - A Menu of Manna

A Menu of Manna

(Exodus 15:22 – 18:27)


The Gathering of Manna

By James Tissot

19th Century


“What’s for dinner tonight?”


Miraculously freed from Pharaoh, the Hebrew people traveled through the desert wilderness, led by the Lord. Before long, they began to complain.


The water at Marah was bitter, but the people may have been even more so.


Most likely, we would have echoed the same belly-aching, or something like it:


“I’m thirsty.”


“I’m hungry.”


“I’m tired.”


There in the Desert of Sin, our loving, patient, merciful God answered all of His people’s concerns. He showered them with manna in the morning (their daily bread) and with meat at night. He sweetened the water, so they could drink it eagerly. And He provided double portions of food on Fridays, so they could rest on the Sabbath.


Gathering of the Manna

By Nicholas Poussin

c1640


God can take care of us, even better than we can care for ourselves.


How we love to gripe and moan, particularly when we think we are entitled to more than we have.

Everything we have comes from God, who is Jehovah-Jireh, our Provider. Why do we whine about wheat bread, as if we really wanted Beef Wellington? Why do we grouse about quail, just because we think someone else has quiche? God knows exactly what we need.


How easily I can glance askance at those around us, wondering why their daily blessings seem to exceed my own. Do I truly deem God unfair? Do I have the right to decide? Do I have the whole story anyway? Absolutely not. And why would I doubt that God will take care of me and those I love? Why would He not take care of those He loves, like me and you?


I once heard a senior Pentecostal pastor chuckle, pound the pulpit and roar with glee: “God has no money problems, and He is never late. He owns the cattle on a thousand hills, and He is always on time. In fact, He owns time as well.”


It’s amazing how certain quips, quotations and images can stick with us for a lifetime – sort of like manna, which might stick to our ribs.


“Your Father knows what you need

before you ask Him.”

(Matthew 6:8b, NIV)


In the toughest economic times, such as those we face today, perhaps we can learn to depend even more fully on Jehovah-Jireh, the Great Provider. Surely, He does not disappoint.


Will you pray with me?


Holy God,

Loving Father,

Thank You for caring for us.

All that we have has come from Your hand.

We trust You to meet our needs

Each day.

Help us to trust You more.

Remind us to give You

All the praise and honor,

As You hear our cries

And answer our prayers.

How could we ever love another?

For You alone are worthy.

Amen.


Add to Technorati Favorites

No comments:

Post a Comment