Kindle Countdown Deals

Sunday

January 11th - Bartering for a Blessing

Bartering for a Blessing

(Genesis 25-26)


Esau Selling His Birthright

By Hendrick ter Brugghen

c1627


Today’s Bible reading socked me right in the stomach, leaving me reeling.


Of course, this is a familiar story. I can remember hearing about Jacob and Esau, the steaming potage and the traded birthright from the time I was a third-grade Sunday schooler. Of course, I always seemed to frown on Jacob for his dirty deception, just to gain his brother’s birthright.


“What’s the big deal with the birthright?” I would ask.


In Old Testament Bible times, however, the birthright was a big deal indeed. The firstborn son was entitled to a double portion of the father’s inheritance. Upon the father’s death, the firstborn would become the patriarch of the family line and head of the household.


Although Jacob and Esau were twins, Esau was older (even by a few minutes). As such, he held the birthright.

Rebekah and Jacob cooked up their little scheme, enticing a hungry Esau to sell his birthright for a bowl of soup. Though by deception, Jacob legally became the firstborn son of the family.


God can use even our sins in His master plan.


Did God desire for Jacob to practice deception? Of course not. Although God loves all people, He detests deceit and divisiveness.


There are six things which the LORD hates,

Yes, seven which are an abomination to Him:

Haughty eyes,

A lying tongue,

And hands that shed innocent blood,

A heart that devises wicked plans,

Feet that run rapidly to evil,

False witness who utters lies,

And one who spreads strife among brothers.”

(Proverbs 6:16-19, NASB)


Still, God certainly was aware, from the start, that Jacob would act in this way. God ordained His plan for human history to incorporate this course of events. Jacob would father the twelve sons of Israel. Through his family line would come the Jesus, the Christ, the Messiah.


God can redeem anyone and any circumstance to accomplish His divine purpose.


Do we barter for blessings?


Esau presents an important lesson, at least for me. Holding the prized birthright, he was willing to trade it for an immediate item. His brother’s soup smelled delicious, so he swapped his heritage for his hunger. How might Esau have felt, once his bowl was empty?


How often have I exchanged an eternal blessing for an impulse? Do I trade God’s best for something that may be merely good? Do I allow feelings to trump faith?


May God teach me (and any who desire it) to value the birthright He has given, by His own Son’s sacrifice. May He cause me to hesitate before bartering His blessing. Surely, nothing compares to His matchless grace.


Will you pray with me?


Lord,

How blessed we are

To be called Your children.

You have invited us to seek Your face,

To know Your heart,

And to ask for Your blessing.

May we never settle

For anything less.

Remind us of your great love today,

And give us a hunger for You

That surpasses all other hungers.

Only You can satisfy

Our deepest longings.

We crave Your blessing.

Amen.


Add to Technorati Favorites

2 comments:

  1. Wow! And thanks for your perspective. I happened upon your sites by a crazy random click and I'm so glad I did.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Blessings Linda...Though I am not reading the Bible chronologically with you, I am so blessed by reading your perspective on each
    Biblical insight so far. You have given me much to think about and birthright/deception
    certainly were key ideas here. I like how you can take Esau/Jacob and make us see how it
    applies to us. A sign of a great teacher!
    Thanks again for showing me how this conflict
    of following my impulse can effect my eternal blessing. I LOVE YOUR PRAYER & say AMEN...May I seek Him first, know His heart & understand
    more of His ways! God bless your writing & you!

    ReplyDelete