Kindle Countdown Deals

Sunday

August 29th - Lamenting the Lost

Lamenting the Lost

(Lamentations 1:1-6; 2:1-22)

Weeping Prayer

Artist Unknown


Today’s daily Scripture reading focuses on the beginning of the Old Testament prophet Jeremiah’s lengthy lament over the loss of Jerusalem and the sad fate of the Lord’s own people. The weeping prophet bemoaned the downtrodden and sincerely sobbed to see the affliction and judgment upon those who have forsaken the one true God.


Even then, in this discouragement and distress, Jeremiah called to the people to return to the faith of their fathers and to trust God. He urged them to lean upon Jehovah, the ever-faithful One.


“Arise, cry out in the night,
as the watches of the night begin;
pour out your heart like water
in the presence of the Lord.
Lift up your hands to him
for the lives of your children,
who faint from hunger
at the head of every street.”

(Lamentations 2:19, NIV)


This passage certainly gives me pause and pierces my soul. Perhaps you feel the same way.

Does my heart hurt for those who have not yet given their hearts to God? Does my soul hunger to see other souls saved for eternity? Does my conscience convict me for my own unfaithfulness to the ever-faithful Father?


How I long to carry a heartfelt burden for those who need the Lord. May God grant me tears of earnest supplication for the lost world. And may He draw me to pour out my heart before Him, so that He might give me a new heart that more matches His own.


Will you pray with me?


Merciful God,

Your own heart surely mourns

To see a faithless world,

Even as You call out patiently

For hearts to turn to You.

Our own Lord,

Your Holy Son,

Shed tender tears

For those who turned their backs

On You,

Even as we all have done.

Draw us, Lord,

Closer to You.

Soften our hearts,

So that we may mourn

As You do

To see the lost suffering.

Make us agents of Your comfort

And Your peace,

So that others

May desire to know You

For Your own glory alone.

Amen.


Add to Technorati Favorites

No comments:

Post a Comment